Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Gross

First, let me disclaim by saying I haven't yet addressed this with the Company's management, I'm simply making an account of what I have seen consistently at the Tosa Baskin Robbins.

It's not pretty.

I've been going to this location since I was a kid. When I was a teenager I'd ride my bike there. As an adult, I sneak away after dinner for a scoop at least four times a month.

But in the past year, some very disturbing things have been observed by me:

- Nothing is cleaned up, ever
- Employees eating on the job, and then serving people.
- Employees futsing with their hair and putting it up under their hats, and then serving people.
- Crap all over the fronts of their shirts, all the time, every day.

Now, the piece de resistance. Last night I was there, and a woman of about 45-50 years of age was about to serve me. She wiped her nose on the back of her hand. Yes, she did.

I placed my order, and she went into the back room. Maybe she realized what she just did and went to wash her hands.

Nope. She brought back a tub of ice cream. She proceeded to serve me. Then, she wiped her nose again.

I had enough. I said, ma'am, don't wipe your nose on the back of your hand when you're serving people.

She said - and I quote "I used the back of my arm". Snotty too. Wouldn't you expect that from a five year old??

Then very condescendingly, she said, "Can I help the next person in line".

I have the manager's name but I didn't realize that BR is a franchise operation. I plan to report all of the above to the corporate entity, but in conjunction with this, I am going to report them to the health department. It's very clear that the owner/manager is aware of how unkempt and unclean the place is, but Tosa is full of young families and is the only ice cream joint around. I imagine their business won't be affected. Unless it's closed.

3 Comments:

Blogger David Casper said...

Blyech!

This reminds of when I was a kid and at the Taco Bell on 91st and Brown Deer with my grandparents. They were absolutely amazed that people were handling money and then preparting food without putting on gloves or washing their hands!

My grandmother called the health department. Whoever she spoke with claimed that money wasn't dirty.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I've been avoiding that place for a while now. I've never seen anything as gross in there as that (ewwwwwww), but just the overall unclean look of the place (ie nothing being cleaned up ever) told me that other parts of the business were just as unclean.

Now I make an occassional trip to Kopps. Its much more unhealthy, but I do it a lot less... so I feel good about it.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Izbaby said...

I'm glad I read this today rather than this past saturday. I will admit the place looked clean and my strawberry ice cream tasted ok too. But like you I know I have also been going there since I was a kid too. Whit that being said I think I will screen all of my future visits for total grossness.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home